No infiltration in Jammu region this year:Army official
Jammu: The Army has not allowed any cross-border infiltration in Jammu region this year despite an increase in the number of attempts along the Indo-Pak border as compared to the previous year, a senior official has said.
"In Jammu region, estimates by various security agencies reveal that no militant crossed over to J&K from across Line of Control," General Officer Commanding (GoC), 16 Corps, Lt Gen DS Hooda said, observing it the reason behind increasing attempts to push in the militants.
Speaking during an Army function, he said infiltration attempts being made from across the border have "slightly" increased as compared to last year.
"Militant leadership has been eliminated. For past 3-4 years, there is a decrease in the number of the militants in the state," he said.
Regarding ceasefire violations and firing in Poonch sector, he said Krishnagati and Nagantikri forward belts have been traditionally known areas of infiltration due to their "mountainous and forested" terrain.
The aim of the infiltrators is to divert attention of the Armed forces on the borderline (in view of the firing from across), so that the infiltration of militants is staged in other areas, he said.
"But the troops are ready. There has been no such incident in which anybody has managed crossing into this side," he asserted.
Regarding the militancy situation in the in-depth areas and presence of number of militants in J&K, he said it is "difficult to make estimates" as there are "different figures (of various security agencies)".
"Most of activities (of militants) in Jammu region take place in Kishtwar, Gool and some in-depth areas of Rajouri. But that is limited. They too have not done any such act of attacking security forces or civilians", the officer said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata