No infiltration in Jammu region this year:Army official
Jammu: The Army has not allowed any cross-border infiltration in Jammu region this year despite an increase in the number of attempts along the Indo-Pak border as compared to the previous year, a senior official has said.
"In Jammu region, estimates by various security agencies reveal that no militant crossed over to J&K from across Line of Control," General Officer Commanding (GoC), 16 Corps, Lt Gen DS Hooda said, observing it the reason behind increasing attempts to push in the militants.
Speaking during an Army function, he said infiltration attempts being made from across the border have "slightly" increased as compared to last year.
"Militant leadership has been eliminated. For past 3-4 years, there is a decrease in the number of the militants in the state," he said.
Regarding ceasefire violations and firing in Poonch sector, he said Krishnagati and Nagantikri forward belts have been traditionally known areas of infiltration due to their "mountainous and forested" terrain.
The aim of the infiltrators is to divert attention of the Armed forces on the borderline (in view of the firing from across), so that the infiltration of militants is staged in other areas, he said.
"But the troops are ready. There has been no such incident in which anybody has managed crossing into this side," he asserted.
Regarding the militancy situation in the in-depth areas and presence of number of militants in J&K, he said it is "difficult to make estimates" as there are "different figures (of various security agencies)".
"Most of activities (of militants) in Jammu region take place in Kishtwar, Gool and some in-depth areas of Rajouri. But that is limited. They too have not done any such act of attacking security forces or civilians", the officer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand