No paper prepared to bring changes in CrPC: Omar
Jammu: J&K Chief Minister Omar Abdullah
on Tuesday said his government has not prepared any paper to
bring amendments in Criminal Procedure Code (CrPC) for
providing legal protection to the armed forces in the state.
"The government has not prepared any paper regarding the
amendments to be made in the CrPC," Omar said in a meeting
with CPI(M) state secretary and legislator MY Tarigami.
The CPI(M) leader had called on Omar this evening.
"There is no move by the government to replace a
temporary legislation with a permanent legislation, which is
being debated at present in the media," the chief minister
During the meeting, Tarigami mentioned about the likely
amendment to the CrPC as reported in a section of media. He
said various suggestions in this regard have been received
from various quarters.
The CM said the government understands the
sensitivity of the issue and therefore, any decision in this
regard will be taken only after wider consultation with all
the parties concerned.
Earlier, Omar, in a bid to allay concerns on the issue of
revocation of AFSPA, had said the state government could
consider restoring two provisions of CrPC to make them
applicable to the state so that armed forces have legal
"They (security forces) have pointed out that in all
other states of the country, Army enjoys protection under the
Criminal Procedure Code (CrPC), which is not applicable in
Jammu and Kashmir`s RPC. We are ready to amend the RPC to make
it on par with CrPC to remove doubts of the Army," Omar had
said on Wednesday night.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video