No plans to construct road to Amarnath shrine
Srinagar: Denying any plans to construct a road to the Amarnath shrine, the Jammu and Kashmir government today said the high-powered committee, set up by the Supreme Court, had not yet given its recommendation on the matter.
"The state government has no plans to make a road to the Amarnath cave shrine. The pilgrims will continue to use ponies and palanquins for the journey," Finance minister Abdul Rahim Rather told reporters here.
He rubbished media reports which said the apex court had directed the state government to construct a road to the shrine before snowfall this winter.
"The Supreme Court has passed no such direction and the state government has issued no order for construction of the road," the minister said.
On August 13, the Supreme Court had asked the government to finish construction of roads and widening of passage to the Amarnath shrine before snowfall.
Rather said some leaders and civil society groups had started issuing statements about the issue, leading to an impression that the government was going to construct a road in the area.
"I want to assure the people that there are no such plans. They should not pay heed to rumours. We have witnessed two peaceful years and people are reaping its dividends in terms of tourism and development," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Nationalism is BJP's identity, our sole aim is nation-building: PM Modi
- WATCH: PRODIGY! This 11-year-old from Odisha slum will now train at Bayern Munich
- Turkey will give full support to operation to retake Syria's Jarablus from Islamic State: Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu
- WATCH: What is PV Sindhu's equation with Saina Nehwal? Her reply will surprise you
- Iraq executions carried out without proper trial, fuelled by vengeance: UN