No reduction in paramilitary troops in J&K: CRPF
Srinagar: There will be no reduction in the
number of paramilitary troops in Jammu and Kashmir in view of
the forthcoming Panchayat elections in the state and to
prevent a situation like last year`s summer unrest in the
Kashmir Valley, CRPF said on Saturday.
"There can be no reduction in the number of CRPF troops
as Panchayat elections are going to be held soon," Inspector
General of Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) Ravi Prakash
Mehrada told reporters at the sidelines of a function here.
Meharda said the number of paramilitary personnel can
also not be reduced to prevent the repetition of last year`s
summer turmoil in the Valley.
"We are watching the situation closely and we cannot let
the past incidents be repeated," he said.
The IG said every jawan of the force was being sensitised
and reoriented in crowd control to avoid collateral damage
CRPF had organised a function here to observe Valour Day
to honour the personnel of the force who had repulsed the
Pakistan Army in the Rann of Kuch in the 1965 war.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory