No respite from cold wave in Kashmir Valley
According to the MeT office, the minimum temperature in Srinagar was -4.6 degrees Celsius, up from yesterday`s -5.4 degrees Celsius, which was the season`s coldest.
Leh town in frontier region of Ladakh was the coldest place in the state with a low of minus 18.0 degrees Celsius, about two notches down from yesterday`s minus 16.2 degrees Celsius, the spokesman said, adding the nearby Kargil town followed closely with a minimum temperature of minus 17.4 degrees Celsius.
It is learnt that the famous skiing resort of Gulmarg in north Kashmir was the coldest place in the Valley with a low of -9.0 degrees Celsius.
The tourist resort of Pahalgam, which also serves as a base camp during annual Amarnath yatra, recorded a low of -8.0 degrees Celsius, about three degrees lower from yesterday`s -5.4 degrees Celsius, he said.
Qazigund, in south Kashmir recorded a low of -5.8 degrees Celsius, while the night temperature in Kokernag was -4.0 degrees Celsius. North Kashmir`s Kupwara reported a minimum of -5.2 degrees Celsius.
The MeT department said that dry cold conditions would persist for a few more days and could lead to a further dip in the minimum temperatures.
With temperatures remaining below freezing point, the fringes of the famous Dal Lake and other water bodies in Srinagar continued to form a thin layer of ice in the night hours.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note