No respite from cold wave in Kashmir Valley
According to the MeT office, the minimum temperature in Srinagar was -4.6 degrees Celsius, up from yesterday`s -5.4 degrees Celsius, which was the season`s coldest.
Leh town in frontier region of Ladakh was the coldest place in the state with a low of minus 18.0 degrees Celsius, about two notches down from yesterday`s minus 16.2 degrees Celsius, the spokesman said, adding the nearby Kargil town followed closely with a minimum temperature of minus 17.4 degrees Celsius.
It is learnt that the famous skiing resort of Gulmarg in north Kashmir was the coldest place in the Valley with a low of -9.0 degrees Celsius.
The tourist resort of Pahalgam, which also serves as a base camp during annual Amarnath yatra, recorded a low of -8.0 degrees Celsius, about three degrees lower from yesterday`s -5.4 degrees Celsius, he said.
Qazigund, in south Kashmir recorded a low of -5.8 degrees Celsius, while the night temperature in Kokernag was -4.0 degrees Celsius. North Kashmir`s Kupwara reported a minimum of -5.2 degrees Celsius.
The MeT department said that dry cold conditions would persist for a few more days and could lead to a further dip in the minimum temperatures.
With temperatures remaining below freezing point, the fringes of the famous Dal Lake and other water bodies in Srinagar continued to form a thin layer of ice in the night hours.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!