No talks with Jethmalani-led Kashmir Committee: JKLF
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front
(JKLF) on Wednesday said it will boycott the Kashmir Committee headed
by prominent lawyer Ram Jethmalani which will arrive here
tomorrow for talks with various groups on the Kashmir issue.
"We have decided not to meet the Kashmir Committee during
their tour of the Valley as we understand that it has time and
again played a role detrimental to interests of Kashmiris,"
JKLF Chairman Mohammad Yasin Malik said in a statement here.
Malik said although JKLF is desirous of a political
solution to the Kashmir issue and has always welcomed
dialogue, the decision to not meet the Committee was based on
"certain facts" which include that the body led to
disintegration of the undivided Hurriyat Conference.
"We received a mail last month from Kashmir Committee and
later Jethmalani himself called to set the date for a
meeting," the JKLF chairman said.
Malik alleged that the purpose behind the formation of
the Kashmir Committee was to harm the Kashmir cause.
"The united Hurriyat Conference was in the best interest
of Kashmiris and our cause. Kashmir Committee played a crucial
role in its disintegration," he claimed.
"There are many Indian friends who have played positive
and constructive role and raised their voice for the rights of
Kashmiris but there are some others who are working with the
sole aim to harm the Kashmir cause and the interests of
Kashmiris," Malik said.
The Jethmalani-led committee was formed during the Prime
Ministership of A B Vajpayee in 2002 to open a channel of
dialogue mainly with senior separatist leaders. Apart from
Jethmalani, the other member of the Kashmir Committee include
senior counsel Shanti Bhushan, academic and editor Madhu
Keshwar and journalist M J Akbar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire