No talks with Jethmalani-led Kashmir Committee: JKLF
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front
(JKLF) on Wednesday said it will boycott the Kashmir Committee headed
by prominent lawyer Ram Jethmalani which will arrive here
tomorrow for talks with various groups on the Kashmir issue.
"We have decided not to meet the Kashmir Committee during
their tour of the Valley as we understand that it has time and
again played a role detrimental to interests of Kashmiris,"
JKLF Chairman Mohammad Yasin Malik said in a statement here.
Malik said although JKLF is desirous of a political
solution to the Kashmir issue and has always welcomed
dialogue, the decision to not meet the Committee was based on
"certain facts" which include that the body led to
disintegration of the undivided Hurriyat Conference.
"We received a mail last month from Kashmir Committee and
later Jethmalani himself called to set the date for a
meeting," the JKLF chairman said.
Malik alleged that the purpose behind the formation of
the Kashmir Committee was to harm the Kashmir cause.
"The united Hurriyat Conference was in the best interest
of Kashmiris and our cause. Kashmir Committee played a crucial
role in its disintegration," he claimed.
"There are many Indian friends who have played positive
and constructive role and raised their voice for the rights of
Kashmiris but there are some others who are working with the
sole aim to harm the Kashmir cause and the interests of
Kashmiris," Malik said.
The Jethmalani-led committee was formed during the Prime
Ministership of A B Vajpayee in 2002 to open a channel of
dialogue mainly with senior separatist leaders. Apart from
Jethmalani, the other member of the Kashmir Committee include
senior counsel Shanti Bhushan, academic and editor Madhu
Keshwar and journalist M J Akbar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!