No Truth and Reconciliation Commission for Geelani
Srinagar: Hardline Hurriyat Conference
chairman Syed Ali Shah Geelani today rejected the Truth and
Reconciliation Commission proposed by Chief Minister Omar
Abdullah and demanded a UN-fact finding mission to probe the
unmarked graves in Jammu and Kashmir.
"We vehemently reject the Truth and Reconciliation
Commission as we do not expect justice from the system which
is perpetuating human rights violations in the state,"
Geelani, who is under house arrest, told reporters at his
Omar had reiterated his suggestion for setting up of
Truth and Reconciliation Commission after the investigative
wing of the State Human Rights Commission admitted the
existence of over 2,700 unmarked graves at 38 sites in north
The hardline Hurriyat leader said none of the victims of
human rights violations in the state has got justice from the
system "which is based on fraud and cheating".
Asked about the demand for Income Tax probe against him
made by Union Minister Farooq Abdullah, Geelani said, "One
should laugh at his comments and sometimes cry too. A man who
does not know what he is talking about, should not be taken
Abdullah yesterday sought a probe into the money
allegedly collected by Geelani and other separatists at the
time of reconstruction of Chrar-e-Sharief Shrine in 1995 and
during the last summer`s unrest.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!