No Truth and Reconciliation Commission for Geelani
Srinagar: Hardline Hurriyat Conference
chairman Syed Ali Shah Geelani today rejected the Truth and
Reconciliation Commission proposed by Chief Minister Omar
Abdullah and demanded a UN-fact finding mission to probe the
unmarked graves in Jammu and Kashmir.
"We vehemently reject the Truth and Reconciliation
Commission as we do not expect justice from the system which
is perpetuating human rights violations in the state,"
Geelani, who is under house arrest, told reporters at his
Omar had reiterated his suggestion for setting up of
Truth and Reconciliation Commission after the investigative
wing of the State Human Rights Commission admitted the
existence of over 2,700 unmarked graves at 38 sites in north
The hardline Hurriyat leader said none of the victims of
human rights violations in the state has got justice from the
system "which is based on fraud and cheating".
Asked about the demand for Income Tax probe against him
made by Union Minister Farooq Abdullah, Geelani said, "One
should laugh at his comments and sometimes cry too. A man who
does not know what he is talking about, should not be taken
Abdullah yesterday sought a probe into the money
allegedly collected by Geelani and other separatists at the
time of reconstruction of Chrar-e-Sharief Shrine in 1995 and
during the last summer`s unrest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'