No unregistered pilgrim will be allowed: Omar
Srinagar: In view of Uttarakhand tragedy, Jammu and Kashmir Government on Wednesday said it will not allow any unregistered pilgrim to Amarnath and Vaishnodevi shrines.
"Whether it is Amarnathji or Vaishnodeviji (shrines), we are not going to give uncontrolled access. So what happened in Uttarakhand cannot happen here. Still, we are taking all necessary precautions," Chief Minister Omar Abdullah told reporters on the sidelines of a function here.
The Chief Minister said Uttarakhand situation cannot be compared to the ongoing Amarnath yatra in Kashmir as access control system is being implemented in letter and spirit.
"In Uttarakhand, people had full liberty to go wherever they wanted. Here we have an access control system and for the first time, we have sent back 15,000 unregistered pilgrims," he said.
Omar said during the past several years, the unregistered pilgrims would reach here, raise hue and cry and they would be allowed to proceed for the yatra.
"This year, after what happened in Uttarakhand, we have decided we will not allow any unregistered pilgrims as they come without health checks and there is no control over them as well," he said.
The Chief Minister said the pilgrims are welcome to the state, but they should follow the procedure laid down by authorities.
"I want to tell the intending pilgrims not to come here without registration. We have opened a counter in Srinagar. If they want to go for yatra, they should get themselves registered and then only proceed," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Delhi Police may arrest Kabaddi player Rohit over wife's suicide
- Politics over Mahesh Sharma's visit to Ayodhya museum site ahead of UP elections
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' release: I stand with Bollywood, why punish Pakistani artistes, says Digvijay Singh
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about