No unregistered pilgrim will be allowed: Omar
Srinagar: In view of Uttarakhand tragedy, Jammu and Kashmir Government on Wednesday said it will not allow any unregistered pilgrim to Amarnath and Vaishnodevi shrines.
"Whether it is Amarnathji or Vaishnodeviji (shrines), we are not going to give uncontrolled access. So what happened in Uttarakhand cannot happen here. Still, we are taking all necessary precautions," Chief Minister Omar Abdullah told reporters on the sidelines of a function here.
The Chief Minister said Uttarakhand situation cannot be compared to the ongoing Amarnath yatra in Kashmir as access control system is being implemented in letter and spirit.
"In Uttarakhand, people had full liberty to go wherever they wanted. Here we have an access control system and for the first time, we have sent back 15,000 unregistered pilgrims," he said.
Omar said during the past several years, the unregistered pilgrims would reach here, raise hue and cry and they would be allowed to proceed for the yatra.
"This year, after what happened in Uttarakhand, we have decided we will not allow any unregistered pilgrims as they come without health checks and there is no control over them as well," he said.
The Chief Minister said the pilgrims are welcome to the state, but they should follow the procedure laid down by authorities.
"I want to tell the intending pilgrims not to come here without registration. We have opened a counter in Srinagar. If they want to go for yatra, they should get themselves registered and then only proceed," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing