Normal life affected in Kashmir due to strike by Hurriyat
Srinagar: Normal life in Kashmir was partially affected due to a strike called by moderate faction of Hurriyat Conference to protest the army`s decision to close the Pathribal fake encounter case.
Shops, offices and business establishments in the commercial hub of Lal Chowk and surrounding areas remained closed due to the strike called by the Hurriyat faction led by Mirwaiz Umar Farooq.
Work in courts was also affected as Kashmir High Court Bar Association has supported the strike call of Hurriyat. However, life was unaffected in civil lines and other areas of the city.
The strike call evoked minimal response in other districts of the Valley.
Transport services, though thin, were plying on all routes across the Valley.
Hurriyat Conference had called for the shutdown to protest the closure of the Pathribal fake encounter case relating to the killing of five innocent persons who were later dubbed as foreign militants in March 2000.
After lengthy legal process to determine whether the five army personnel accused in the case should be tried in view of the immunity under AFSPA, the army opted for General Court Martial.
The Army recently closed the case for lack of evidence, a decision that led to widespread condemnation from both the mainstream and separatist camps in the valley.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi