Normal life hit due to strike by separatists in J&K
Srinagar: Normal life was affected today due to a strike call by a group of separatists over the death of a Kashmiri student, who was found hanging in his hostel room in Hyderabad. Shops, banks, petrol pumps and other business establishments remained closed today due to the strike called by Majlis Mashawarat (Consultation Committee), of the separatist group.
While most public transport remained off roads, private cars, cabs and autorickshaws were plying in the Valley.
Schools and colleges remained closed on account of the ongoing winter vacations. Although the educational institutions in Kashmir open on March 1 every year after three months of winter vacations, the authorities this year extended the vacations till March 11 due to cold conditions.
Kamran (25) was found hanging from the ceiling of his hostel room on March 2. He was rushed to a nearby hospital by other students at the campus, but reportedly died on the way.
In a statement here, the Majlis yesterday called for a complete shutdown in the Valley to protest the death of Kamran. "Kamran was murdered for leading funeral prayers for Guru," the statement said alleging the police were misleading the people about the circumstances of his death.
The amalgamation, as part of its weekly protest calendar, has called for a march to Kamran`s native village Parigam in south Kashmir Pulwama district on Tuesday for expressing solidarity with the bereaved family.
During the march, the demand for return of mortal remains of Guru and JKLF founder Mohammad Maqbool Bhat will be reiterated, they said. Bhat was hanged and buried inside Tihar Jail on February 11, 1984 after he was convicted for murdering a police officer.
Both factions of Hurriyat Conference, JKLF, Kashmir Bar Association and Dukhtaran-e-Millat are constituents of the Majlis which was formed in the wake of Guru`s execution inside Tihar Jail on February 9. The main demand of the Majlis is to seek return of mortal remains of Guru and Bhat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read