Normalcy returns to Srinagar - but only for a day
Srinagar: With authorities relaxing curfew and separatists asking locals to resume normal life for a day, students streamed into schools while shops and businesses functioned normally in this Jammu and Kashmir summer capital Wednesday.
Srinagar schools reported 85 percent attendance, officials said, as both separatists and the administration gave residents some respite.
"Curfew has been relaxed in Srinagar city from 10 a.m. today while it was reimposed in Sopore, Baramulla and Kupwara towns in north Kashmir," a police officer said here.
However, curfew has not been relaxed in two police station areas in the Old City of Srinagar because of reports that some people planned to incite violence, police said.
Shops, public transport, business establishments, banks, post offices and educational institutions started functioning normally in Srinagar.
Though officials claimed that attendance in educational institutions had improved Tuesday in comparison to Monday when schools reopened officially after three months in Srinagar, very few students turned up.
"Today attendance is overwhelming in all schools not because the government has lifted the curfew or because the separatists have asked for a day`s normalcy, it is so because both have decided not to interfere with our lives for a day," said a frustrated parent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP