Northern Command PRO transferred over `controversial` handout
Jammu: Less than a fortnight after Northern Army Commander tendered apology to J&K Chief Minister Omar Abdullah over the controversial press release issued by Army
PRO, Udhampur-based Northern Command PRO has been transferred and a new media officer has been posted in his place.
PRO, Ministry of Defence, Northern Command, Lt Col P Kochhar has been transferred and Col S Kalia has been posted in his place with immediate effect, defence sources told a news agency.
Col Kochhar, who was appointed in November 2 as PRO, of Udhampur-based Northern Command, has been shifted to MoD, New Delhi, they said.
Defence sources, however, maintain that the PRO had issued handout cleared by Headquarters of Northern Command and swas made scape goat. "He will fight his case with proof in this regard as he not done the mistake for which he is being
punished," they claimed.
A red-faced Northern Army Commander Lt Gen BS Jaswal had apologised to Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on December one for a press note criticising his government for removing bunkers, saying it was inadvertently issued by a junior officer.
The apology came close on the heels of Omar complaining to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh about the Army`s public criticism of the state government`s policies to deal with
An Army spokesperson had issued a release on December 2, saying that Northern Army Commander Lt Gen BS Jaswal "has apologised to Chief Minister of J&K on December one, 2010 to resolve the issue.
"The state government and the Army are maintaining best of relations and would continue to do so. The chief minister and the Army Commander share extremely cordial relations and have best of functional rapport. The entire episode is deeply regretted," he said.
On a press release issued on November 30, which was withdrawn the same day, the Army spokesperson said, "the views expressed were personal predilections of a junior officer, which were inadvertently issued as a press release.
"The contents were neither cleared by Headquarters, Northern Command or by the Directorate of Public Relations, Ministry of Defence, nor does the Army subscribe to the views expressed," the spokesperson said.
The controversy arose after the Northern Command issued a press release on the encounter that took place on November 29 on the outskirts of Srinagar in which three militants and a policeman were killed.
The release claimed that the encounter had taken place only because of removal of bunkers by Omar government, which was "compelled to give in" and that it could have "pleased a few hardline separatists and their ISI handlers".
The Jammu and Kashmir chief minister has been demanding withdrawal or amendment to the Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA) to make it more humane.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'