Not possible to give security to all sarpanchs in J&K: Centre
New Delhi: In the backdrop of fear gripping sarpanchs in Jammu and Kashmir, Union Panchayati Raj Minister V Kishore Chandra Deo on Tuesday agreed with the state government`s stand that it was not possible to provide security to all of them but said they should be given powers to perform.
He said he has been writing to Chief Minister Omar Abdullah in this regard and had recently sent his Additional Secretary to Srinagar for the same purpose.
"I have written to Chief Minister Omar Abdullah. The Ministry is taking up the matter with the state government. I have been talking to them over phone. I had also sent my Additional Secretary there for this," Deo told reporters.
He was replying to a query on the state of Panchayats and sarpanchs in Jammu and Kashmir.
"I agree with the state government`s view that it is not possible to provide security to all 40,000 sarpanchs. But the main aspect is that we have trained the sarpanchs and got them elected. But you have not devolved any funds and functions. So, what else do you expect? This could also be one of the reasons for sarpanchs feeling insecure in the state," he said.
It is understood that devolution of powers to Panchayats is being delayed by MLAs heading the Political Committees made for this purpose, sources said.
MLAs heading the Political Committees are not willing to share funds and responsibilities with sarpanchs, they added.
Sarpanchs in a few districts of the state were targeted by militant groups sometime back.
Along with J&K, a similar problem has been reported from Jharkhand where the state government is awaiting formation of District Planning Committees (DPCs) before delegating works and funds to Panchayats.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo