Not the right time to withdraw AFSPA from J&K: BJP
Jammu: Opposing any reduction of troops from the state, the Jammu and Kashmir unit of BJP on Monday said the time was "not ripe" to repeal AFSPA here as there was a "dire need for utmost vigil" along the border areas.
"The recent cases of threat to elected Sarpanchs and Panchs in Valley also indicate that situation does not allow to think in terms of bringing down level of presence of security forces," state party convener Kuldeep Raj Gupta said.
He accused the Central government of adopting a "soft approach" towards of terrorism by not raising the issue before Pakistan in "strong words" while also referring to recent reported incidents of unprovoked firing by Pakistani troops from across the border.
The BJP leader alleged the state government was more concerned towards the rehabilitation of surrendered militants than the problems of the people.
He also alleged the Centre of not taking security concerns seriously and "misleading the people on the slogans of development and good governance."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’