NPP, BJP protest in Assembly over reservations in BDC polls
Srinagar: The Jammu and Kashmir assembly on Wednesday witnessed unruly scenes over the issue of reservations for women and SC/STs in the upcoming block development council polls.
Members of the National Panthers Party and Bharatiya Janata Party staged a protest and stormed into the well of the house demanding reservation for OBCs, SCs and STs in the polls.
BDC polls are scheduled to be held in the first week of next month and there is no reservation for women, Scheduled Castes (SC) and Scheduled Tribes (ST) in the BDCs under the present Panchayati Raj Act.
The NPP and BJP are demanding reserving the seats for these classes in the forthcoming polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indians face public wrath in Congo after Congolese national bludgeoned to death in Delhi; govt rejects racism claims
- Trump denounces illegal immigrants as tensions flare
- Regardless of N-deal, primary American embargo on Iran to stay: US Treasury Department
- UK PM Cameron says EU referendum turnout is greatest concern for 'In'
- US states sue White House over transgender bathroom use