Observe zero tolerance towards pollution at Rohtang: HC to govt
Shimla: Asking state government to observe "zero tolerance" towards pollution in the vicinity of Rohtang Pass beyond Mardhi, the Himachal Pradesh High Court on Friday directed a slew of measures, including removal of unauthorised food stalls.
A division bench comprising Chief Justice A M Khanwilkar and Justice R B Misra also directed the state authorities to ensure that all the unauthorised food stalls/dhabas in that area are removed in a time bound period.
The court had taken suo motu cognisance of the harm being caused to Rohtang glacier due to pollution.
The court also said that the state authorities must provide substitute mobile vans to supply food and drinking items to the tourists, whose responsibility should be taken by the HP Tourism department.
In addition, the state Tourism department, in association with the State Pollution Control Board, should also arrange for day to day awareness camps at appropriate locations to spread awareness among the tourists about the norms and do`s and don`ts to be observed strictly during their stay or visit to tourist locations in forest area, the court said.
The court granted time to the Advocate General to interact with the Principal Secretary (Tourism) and MD, HP Tourism Corporation to evolve a comprehensive scheme to ensure that littering taking place in forest area essentially due to the presence of unauthorised food stalls/dhabas was stopped at the earliest.
However, the court clarified that pendency of the petition or preparation of comprehensive scheme will not be an impediment for the State Authorities to immediately precede against the unauthorised food stalls/dhabas in restricted/forest area in accordance with law and posted that matter for May 2, 2013.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days