Observe zero tolerance towards pollution at Rohtang: HC to govt
Shimla: Asking state government to observe "zero tolerance" towards pollution in the vicinity of Rohtang Pass beyond Mardhi, the Himachal Pradesh High Court on Friday directed a slew of measures, including removal of unauthorised food stalls.
A division bench comprising Chief Justice A M Khanwilkar and Justice R B Misra also directed the state authorities to ensure that all the unauthorised food stalls/dhabas in that area are removed in a time bound period.
The court had taken suo motu cognisance of the harm being caused to Rohtang glacier due to pollution.
The court also said that the state authorities must provide substitute mobile vans to supply food and drinking items to the tourists, whose responsibility should be taken by the HP Tourism department.
In addition, the state Tourism department, in association with the State Pollution Control Board, should also arrange for day to day awareness camps at appropriate locations to spread awareness among the tourists about the norms and do`s and don`ts to be observed strictly during their stay or visit to tourist locations in forest area, the court said.
The court granted time to the Advocate General to interact with the Principal Secretary (Tourism) and MD, HP Tourism Corporation to evolve a comprehensive scheme to ensure that littering taking place in forest area essentially due to the presence of unauthorised food stalls/dhabas was stopped at the earliest.
However, the court clarified that pendency of the petition or preparation of comprehensive scheme will not be an impediment for the State Authorities to immediately precede against the unauthorised food stalls/dhabas in restricted/forest area in accordance with law and posted that matter for May 2, 2013.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery