OIC mentions J&K as a country; India reacts strongly
New Delhi: India on Friday strongly reacted to Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC)`s mention of Jammu and Kashmir as a country, terming it as "unacceptable".
"We note that there is an erroneous and factually incorrect mention about an integral part of India by the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) in its communique issued at its Fourth Extraordinary Summit held in Makkah on August 14-15, 2012.
"This is wrong, unacceptable and we reject it," official spokesperson in the Ministry of External Affairs Syed Akbaruddin said.
He was replying to India`s position on OIC`s reference to Jammu and Kashmir in its meet in Makkah.
Under the heading of `Solidarity With Other Member States`, Final Communique at OIC Summit, said "The Summit affirms its solidarity and full support for Sudan, Somalia, Afghanistan and Jammu and Kashmir, Iraq, Yemen, Ivory Coast, the Union of Comoros and the Republic of Turkish-Cyprus in addressing the challenges facing these countries."
In the past also, the grouping has been referring to Kashmir as "occupied territory", which has never gone down well with New Delhi.
In the Makkah meet, the OIC also suspend the membership of Syrian from the Organization.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP comes out in defence of Amitabh's association with second anniversary programme
- Army troops, insurgents exchange gunfire along Manipur-Myanmar border
- Telangana TS EAMCET Results 2016: Engineering, Agriculture and Medical Common Entrance Test (TS EAMCET) results to be declared today on May 26 (Thursday) on www.tseamcet.in at 11 AM
- World leaders kick off G7 talks with economy, terrorism and refugees in focus
- Indians face public wrath in Congo after Congolese national bludgeoned to death in Delhi; govt rejects racism claims