Omar Abdullah govt against Afzal Guru`s hanging
Jammu: The Jammu and Kashmir government is against the hanging of Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru, warning this could spark widespread violence in the state, official sources said on Friday.
Already facing frequent protests in the Kashmir Valley, the National Conference government is not prepared for another wave of mass protests if the 40-year-old Sopore resident is hanged, the sources said.
They said the state government had cautioned the central government about the consequences of carrying out the sentence.
A medicine and surgical instrument dealer from Jammu and Kashmir, Afzal Guru was given the death penalty in 2002 on charges of hatching the conspiracy that led to a deadly terrorist attack on Indian Parliament in December 2001 leaving over a dozen people dead.
His sentence was upheld by the Supreme Court in 2005. The sentence was scheduled to be carried out on October 20, 2006. But his execution was stayed after his wife sought clemency.
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) has been pressing for his early hanging.
The sources said that Chief Minister Omar Abdullah was personally against hanging Afzal Guru, who is now lodged in New Delhi`s Tihar Jail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- Kerala: Medical college prohibits girls from wearing jeans, noisy ornaments
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- DNA: Analysing the derogatory remarks made by Chinese Newspaper on Indians
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption