Omar Abdullah thanks Modi for Katra-Udhampur rail link
Katra: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Friday thanked Prime Minister Narendra Modi for flagging off the Katra-Udhampur train.
"We were waiting for this for a long time; it will be a big boon for the locals as well. Crores of people will now be able to get Mata Vaishno Devi`s blessings due to this train. I thank Modi for it and congratulate the Indian railways," said Abdullah.
Recalling former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee`s contribution to the Indian Railways, Omar said, "I want to recount the invaluable contribution of Atal Bihari Vajpayee`s government in the development of this rail link."
Abdullah also requested Modi for the possibility to extend railway link to areas like Sonmarg and expressed the need for the upgradation of Jammu railway.
Earlier today, Narendra Modi had flagged off a Diesel Multiple Unit (DMU) on his first visit to Jammu and Kashmir after assuming office. The train will serve as special train to the Hindu holy shrine of Vaishno Devi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list