Omar advocates transfer of Dulhasti hydro project to J&K
Kishtwar (J-K): Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Tuesday advocated transfer of 390-MW Dulhasti Hydro Electric Power Project to the state to enable it address increasing power supply demand and strengthen economy.
Omar made the demand in his address to the gathering after Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi laid the foundation stone of 850 MW Rattle Project here.
"On this occasion, I would like to press the demand of the people of the state before the UPA Chairperson and Prime Minister for transfer of Dulhasti HEP to the state," the Chief Minister said.
Asserting that the bulk production of hydro power is only way forward to ensure socio-economic welfare of the state, Omar said the optimum utilisation of two great resources of water and natural beauty possessed by Jammu and Kashmir could transform the economic and development scenario of the state.
"We want to generate surplus electricity to supply it to other parts of the country and lay strong edifice for the economic growth and welfare of the State," he said.
Thanking the Centre for their highest support to Jammu and Kashmir for its holistic development, the Chief Minister said during the last nine years, the UPA Government under the chairmanship of Sonia Gandhi has extended extra-ordinary economic support to the State.
He lauded the keenness of Gandhi to see Jammu and Kashmir developing fast and sought her support for harnessing the vast hydro electric potential of the state.
"At present, whenever we feel financial requirements we come to the UPA Government led by Gandhi for support. We get it freely as she has a keen interest in the development of the state and its people," he said.
Omar said if a "not-friendly" government be at the helm at the Centre, Jammu and Kashmir will be in difficulty.
"As such, we seek highest economic support from the UPA Government to establish our own power projects and stand firm on economic ground," he maintained.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened