Omar angry at netizens` silence on youth killing b
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Wednesday lashed out at netizens who maintained silence over the killing of a teenaged boy by militants in Sopore town yesterday but had showed outrage against killing of a youth in security forces firing last week.
"Militants chase an 18-year-old boy in to a mosque and shoot him. Imagine the outrage if this had been done by security forces," Abdullah wrote on micro-blogging site Twitter.
Suhail Ahmad Sofi was shot dead by militants in Sopore town last night as he was coming out of a mosque after offering night prayers.
Sofi was believed to have been killed for helping security forces in organising sports events, which had helped in keeping youth away from disruptive activities after 2010 summer agitation in the Valley.
Abdullah said he was willing to accept the anger directed against the government for excesses by the security forces only from those who are willing to condemn the killings by militants as well.
"I can accept the anger directed against us for excesses by security forces but only from people willing to condemn such killings," he said.
The Chief Minister said the hypocrisy was evident from the reactions on his Twitter timeline to the killing of a youth by CRPF personnel last week and lack of any reaction to Sofi`s killing.
"Want to see the hypocrisy of selective outrage? Compare reactions on my TL (timeline) today to those exactly a week ago," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown