Omar approves digitisation of 6,300 books at cultural academy
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah has approved the digitalisation of over 6,300 reference books in the State Academy of Art, Culture and Languages, saying preservation and conservation of state`s rich treasure of art, culture, heritage and literature is the need of the hour.
Omar, who is also the president of the Academy, gave the nod to the digitalisation of the reference books and directed release of Rs 35 lakh for the purpose at the Central Committee meeting of the Academy here yesterday, a spokesman said today.
"Our present and future generations should be well-versed with the history and cultural diversity of our state and well-preserved documentations of memorabilia and reference books would act as valuable treasure for them in this regard," Omar said.
The CM had earlier approved the digitisation of manuscripts, paintings, miniatures, calligraphy specimen and photographs of the Academy to preserve these for posterity.
Omar has received details of major activities being undertaken by the Academy to promote literature, art, culture and heritage, the spokesman said.
He has received briefs on the construction of `Tehzeeb Mehal`, renovation and repairs of Tagore Hall and Abhinav Theatre, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Anna Hazare extends support to ex-servicemen over OROP protests
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes