Omar asks Geelani not to mislead people
Srinagar:Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah today ruled out construction of any concete road to the Amarnath cave shrine and offered state helicopter to separatist leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani to visit the area to ascertain the ground reality.
"We have two choppers, let him choose a day and go wherever he wants around the Amarnath shrine. Then let him prove that a single meter of road length has been macadamized or any step has been taken that is harmful to environment," he said.
Geelani should read the Supreme Court order and the 200-page report submitted by state before the apex court before jumping to conclusions, Omar told a gathering after inaugurating the renovated Bulbul Shah Shrine in Old City area.
"Not once has been the word road or macadamization used in the report. What road is he talking about? Only the track will be repaired and that too after getting the necessary clearance from the Forest Department and other concerned agencies," the Chief Minister said.
Sewerage treatment plant would be constructed to protect the water bodies around the area from getting polluted, he said.
"We have constructed two gates in order to regulate the flow of Amarnath yatris but we have not given any land to the (Shri Amarnath Shrine) Board. Even the Board has not asked for any land," the Chief Minister said.
Omar asked Geelani not to mislead the people on the issue.
"It does not suit them (separatists) that the situation remains normal. They do not want us to be close to people," he said.
Geelani on Thursday threatened to launch an agitation after Eid-ul Zuha against the alleged government plans to construct permanent facilities around the Amarnath shrine.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram on July 30