Omar asks Geelani not to mislead people
Srinagar:Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah today ruled out construction of any concete road to the Amarnath cave shrine and offered state helicopter to separatist leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani to visit the area to ascertain the ground reality.
"We have two choppers, let him choose a day and go wherever he wants around the Amarnath shrine. Then let him prove that a single meter of road length has been macadamized or any step has been taken that is harmful to environment," he said.
Geelani should read the Supreme Court order and the 200-page report submitted by state before the apex court before jumping to conclusions, Omar told a gathering after inaugurating the renovated Bulbul Shah Shrine in Old City area.
"Not once has been the word road or macadamization used in the report. What road is he talking about? Only the track will be repaired and that too after getting the necessary clearance from the Forest Department and other concerned agencies," the Chief Minister said.
Sewerage treatment plant would be constructed to protect the water bodies around the area from getting polluted, he said.
"We have constructed two gates in order to regulate the flow of Amarnath yatris but we have not given any land to the (Shri Amarnath Shrine) Board. Even the Board has not asked for any land," the Chief Minister said.
Omar asked Geelani not to mislead the people on the issue.
"It does not suit them (separatists) that the situation remains normal. They do not want us to be close to people," he said.
Geelani on Thursday threatened to launch an agitation after Eid-ul Zuha against the alleged government plans to construct permanent facilities around the Amarnath shrine.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi