Omar asks Geelani not to mislead people
Srinagar:Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah today ruled out construction of any concete road to the Amarnath cave shrine and offered state helicopter to separatist leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani to visit the area to ascertain the ground reality.
"We have two choppers, let him choose a day and go wherever he wants around the Amarnath shrine. Then let him prove that a single meter of road length has been macadamized or any step has been taken that is harmful to environment," he said.
Geelani should read the Supreme Court order and the 200-page report submitted by state before the apex court before jumping to conclusions, Omar told a gathering after inaugurating the renovated Bulbul Shah Shrine in Old City area.
"Not once has been the word road or macadamization used in the report. What road is he talking about? Only the track will be repaired and that too after getting the necessary clearance from the Forest Department and other concerned agencies," the Chief Minister said.
Sewerage treatment plant would be constructed to protect the water bodies around the area from getting polluted, he said.
"We have constructed two gates in order to regulate the flow of Amarnath yatris but we have not given any land to the (Shri Amarnath Shrine) Board. Even the Board has not asked for any land," the Chief Minister said.
Omar asked Geelani not to mislead the people on the issue.
"It does not suit them (separatists) that the situation remains normal. They do not want us to be close to people," he said.
Geelani on Thursday threatened to launch an agitation after Eid-ul Zuha against the alleged government plans to construct permanent facilities around the Amarnath shrine.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion