Omar asks uncle not to drag him into controversy
Jammu: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Tuesday refused to get dragged into a controversy sparked off by his uncle, Sheikh Mustafa Kamal, who was ousted from two key positions in the ruling National Conference.
Retweeting to a question posed by one of his followers on Twitter, Omar Abdullah said about Kamal: "He`s my uncle and I have the greatest of respect for him. This matter is between him and my father, no reason to drag me into it."
His uncle has accused Omar Abdullah of pressuring his father and National Conference president Farooq Abdullah to oust Kamal from the two party positions.
Kamal had told a channel on Monday that his nephew was "weak" and felt "insecure because of my popularity" and had pressured Farooq Abdullah to "make me step down" from the posts of additional general secretary and chief spokesperson of the National Conference.
Farooq Abdullah had appointed Kamal to the party posts in early October, but had asked him to resign after a spate of controversial statements, including one asking Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi "to run his party (Congress) and not to reflect on the governance of the state government".
In some of his statements, he had accused New Delhi of neglecting Jammu and Kashmir and the aspirations of its people. Kamal is the youngest brother of Farooq Abdullah.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla