Omar asks uncle not to drag him into controversy
Jammu: Jammu & Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah Tuesday refused to get dragged into a controversy sparked off by his uncle, Sheikh Mustafa Kamal, who was ousted from two key positions in the ruling National Conference.
Re-tweeting to a question posed by one of his followers on Twitter, Omar Abdullah said about Kamal: "He`s my uncle and I have the greatest of respect for him. This matter is between him and my father, no reason to drag me into it."
His uncle has accused Omar Abdullah of pressuring his father and National Conference president Farooq Abdullah to oust Kamal from the two party positions.
Kamal had told a channel Monday that his nephew was "weak" and felt "insecure because of my popularity" and had pressured Farooq Abdullah to "make me step down" from the posts of additional general secretary and chief spokesperson of the National Conference.
Farooq Abdullah had appointed Kamal to the party posts in early October, but had asked him to resign after a spate of controversial statements, including one asking Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi "to run his party (Congress) and not to reflect on the governance of the state government".
In some of his statements, he had accused New Delhi of neglecting Jammu and Kashmir and the aspirations of its people. Kamal is the youngest brother of Farooq Abdullah.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!