Omar bats for `green` industrial growth for J-K
Srinagar: Favouring industrial growth
which was in harmony with environment, Jammu and Kashmir Chief
Minister Omar Abdullah today pressed for urgent action to
reduce pressure on the state`s ecology due to rising
population and haphazard constructions.
"A strategy is needed to encourage industrial growth
in consonance with the environment requirements," Omar said at
the conclusion of a three-day conference on `Green solutions
for sustainable development of Jammu and Kashmir` here.
Omar said there has been tremendous pressure on the
state`s ecology due to growth of population and haphazard
"We have to join hands to formulate a module to reduce
this pressure on water bodies, forests, air and environment
while chalking out industrial development programme in the
state," he maintained, and urged the industry and
environmentalists to jointly work towards it.
He said planners have to take into account the
substantial "floating population" that stays in the state
during the tourist season and for pilgrimage.
Omar said disposal of wastes, management of water and
energy have to be incorporated in the policy.
He said Jammu and Kashmir has a major potential for
harnessing green energy and the state government is working in
tandem with Union Ministry for New and Renewable Energy to
utilise non-conventional energy sources for sustainable
"We are working on utilising huge amount of biomass
especially weeds in Dal and other water bodies for generating
energy and producing bio-fertilisers," the chief minister said
Voicing concern over the condition of water bodies,
he said Dal lake, Wullar and other water bodies bore the brunt
of pollution and human interference.
"These have been turned into garbage dumps.... We must
realise our responsibility to retrieve the glory of these
water bodies," he added.
Omar said his government is committed to safeguard the
environment and ecology of the state and development of
tourism and industry is being carried forward under a
comprehensive plan which takes care of all aspects of
pollution control and protection of ecology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town