Omar calls for restoring dialogue to achieve `permanent peace`
Jammu: Asserting that gun is no answer to any problem, Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Saturday stressed the need for "restoring" dialogue between India and Pakistan and particular political groups in the state and the Centre so that issues are addressed in a peaceful manner.
In a message on the eve of Republic Day, Omar prayed for peace, prosperity and progress of the state and country and the well-being of the people.
"There is a need for restoring dialogue between India and Pakistan and particular political groups in the state and the Centre so that issues are addressed in a peaceful manner," Omar said.
"Gun is no answer to any problem and wars have never solved any issue but created many," Omar said, and referred to his repeated efforts to facilitate internal and external dialogue on political issues confronting his state.
Maintaining that "peace is of paramount importance to carry forward development", he said it has helped in attracting large number of tourists to the state.
Referring to the state`s Rehabilitation Policy, he said 380 youths have returned from Pakistan-occupied Kashmir(PoK) and his government would continue to help those who have not indulged in violence.
On the return of Kashmiri Pandits to the state, Omar said his government has taken many initiatives and that 1,500 boys and girls of the community were given jobs in the Valley.
The Chief Minister stressed on the significance of 2014 as elections are to be held at the Parliamentary and Assembly levels this year and appealed to people to exercise their franchise in large numbers.
On his government completing five years early this month, he said although remarkable progress has been achieved, more remains to be done to achieve permanent peace and prosperity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi