Omar demands rail coach factory for J&K
Jammu: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah today demanded setting up of a rail coach factory in the state in order to help it overcome industrial backwardness and fast-track the pace of economic development.
"The Centre should announce rail coach factory in the state as it has done Punjab in order to help the state overcome industrial backwardness and economic shortcomings," Omar said addressing an ASSOCHAM seminar here.
He also emphasised on transfer of Salal, Dulhasti and Uri power projects to the state and stressed on support to specifically cater to its needs.
Asserting that Jammu and Kashmir should not be compared with other states, Omar said when the entire country was reaping benefits of liberalisation of industrial policy, it was fighting the militancy war for the country.
"We have undergone tremendous downward dip in economy. The progress of the state remained standstill, thousands of youth were rendered jobless and trade and industries received series jolt," he said.
Omar also objected to comparing Jammu and Kashmir with other hilly states during granting of any Central assistance, and noted that a support merely on grounds of geographical difficulties will not help meet special needs of people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers
- Three accused of 2009 Sri Lanka cricket team attack killed, claims Pakistan
- Heart failure among the aged may triple by 2060
- Shahid Kapoor holding his newly born daughter is the cutest thing you will see today! – Pic inside