Omar demands rail coach factory for J&K
Jammu: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah today demanded setting up of a rail coach factory in the state in order to help it overcome industrial backwardness and fast-track the pace of economic development.
"The Centre should announce rail coach factory in the state as it has done Punjab in order to help the state overcome industrial backwardness and economic shortcomings," Omar said addressing an ASSOCHAM seminar here.
He also emphasised on transfer of Salal, Dulhasti and Uri power projects to the state and stressed on support to specifically cater to its needs.
Asserting that Jammu and Kashmir should not be compared with other states, Omar said when the entire country was reaping benefits of liberalisation of industrial policy, it was fighting the militancy war for the country.
"We have undergone tremendous downward dip in economy. The progress of the state remained standstill, thousands of youth were rendered jobless and trade and industries received series jolt," he said.
Omar also objected to comparing Jammu and Kashmir with other hilly states during granting of any Central assistance, and noted that a support merely on grounds of geographical difficulties will not help meet special needs of people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'