Omar govt committed to Panchayati Raj system: NC
Jammu: Accusing the opposition parties of trying to exploit the people in the name of empowerment of Panchayats, the ruling National Conference today said the Omar Abdullah-led government was determined to constitute a 3-tier Panchayati Raj system in the state.
"The opposition parties are frustrated as they have been badly rejected by the masses even in Panchayat polls and now they are trying to exploit people in the name of empowerment of Panchayats," NC Provincial President Rattan Lal Gupta said.
It was the PDP which had dissolved the elected Panchayats and was not able to conduct the elections till 2008, he told a day-long awareness workshop of panches and sarpanches here.
"The NC-led government is committed to constitute the 3-tier Panchayati Raj system in the state," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal