Omar govt committed to Panchayati Raj system: NC
Jammu: Accusing the opposition parties of trying to exploit the people in the name of empowerment of Panchayats, the ruling National Conference today said the Omar Abdullah-led government was determined to constitute a 3-tier Panchayati Raj system in the state.
"The opposition parties are frustrated as they have been badly rejected by the masses even in Panchayat polls and now they are trying to exploit people in the name of empowerment of Panchayats," NC Provincial President Rattan Lal Gupta said.
It was the PDP which had dissolved the elected Panchayats and was not able to conduct the elections till 2008, he told a day-long awareness workshop of panches and sarpanches here.
"The NC-led government is committed to constitute the 3-tier Panchayati Raj system in the state," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars