‘Omar govt deceived 33,000 panches, sarpanches’
Jammu: Criticising the Jammu and Kashmir government for not implementing 73rd amendment to Constitution aimed at empowering Panchayats, AJKPC Monday accused it of deceiving 33,000 Panches and Sarpanches in the state.
"Omar Abdullah government is insensitive and deceiving 33,000 elected panches and sarpanches of the state on the name of empowerment of Panchayat Raj institutions, though it has not implemented the 73rd amendment," General Secretary of All Jammu and Kashmir Panchayat Conference, Anil Sharma told reporters here.
He demanded that the Union government and the central leadership of the Congress party fulfil their promises.
"During our (AJKPC members) meeting with Rahul Gandhi last year, he had assured that his party would do everything to give panchayats their due, but unfortunately the state leaders of the Congress party have totally disregarded the promise of its top leader," Sharma said.
He also said the monthly honorarium announced for Panches and Sarpanches was yet to be disbursed to them.
"The Finance minister on the floor of the House had said the government would release monthly honorarium for the elected village heads (Rs 2,000 for Sarapanch and Rs 300 for the Panch per sitting) but till date, not a single rupee has been released," he said.
Sharma said AJKPC would launch protests if the demands for implementing 73rd amendment and security for panchayat representatives were not met at the earliest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!
- After Azhar, Harbhajan Singh visits Navjot Singh Sidhu in hospital!