Omar hails NC-Congress victory in J&K
Jammu: The victory of the National Conference (NC)-Congress coalition in all the four seats in Jammu and Kashmir legislative council from the panchayat quota is a severe jolt to the Opposition, Chief Minister Omar Abdullah said on Thursday.
The Chief Minister asked the cadres of the two parties to step up preparations for the 2014 Assembly Elections.
The victory is a "severe jolt to those (PDP leadership) who indulged in malicious propaganda against the coalition and tried their best to create a wedge between the workers of Congress and NC at the grassroots", Abdullah told reporters here.
Congratulating the winners, he said: "Panches, sarpanches and party cadres of National Conference and Congress have tirelessly worked to ensure thumping victory for all the four coalition candidates in the elections to legislative council seats reserved for the panchayats."
"Your victory is appropriate reply to those (PDP leadership) who remained engaged in propagating the false conception that NC-Congress coalition was not effective and cohesive at the lower level," he said.
Earlier on Thursday, the ruling coalition won all four seats in the state legislative council from the panchayat reserved quota polling for which was held on December 03.
The contest was multi-cornered with all the parties fielding their candidates, while the coalition partners - NC and Congress - shared two seats each in Jammu region and the Kashmir Valley.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- PM Modi praises Ekal Vidyalaya Foundation, deems mission successful
- Does religion teach gender discrimination?
- Panel discussion on detention of goat for grazing in bureaucrat's garden
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- See pic: Call for further study after discovery of baboon-like creature on Mars!
- Watch: This guy convinces girls to get pictures clicked with him – know how