Omar hails NC-Congress victory in J&K
Jammu: The victory of the National Conference (NC)-Congress coalition in all the four seats in Jammu and Kashmir legislative council from the panchayat quota is a severe jolt to the Opposition, Chief Minister Omar Abdullah said on Thursday.
The Chief Minister asked the cadres of the two parties to step up preparations for the 2014 Assembly Elections.
The victory is a "severe jolt to those (PDP leadership) who indulged in malicious propaganda against the coalition and tried their best to create a wedge between the workers of Congress and NC at the grassroots", Abdullah told reporters here.
Congratulating the winners, he said: "Panches, sarpanches and party cadres of National Conference and Congress have tirelessly worked to ensure thumping victory for all the four coalition candidates in the elections to legislative council seats reserved for the panchayats."
"Your victory is appropriate reply to those (PDP leadership) who remained engaged in propagating the false conception that NC-Congress coalition was not effective and cohesive at the lower level," he said.
Earlier on Thursday, the ruling coalition won all four seats in the state legislative council from the panchayat reserved quota polling for which was held on December 03.
The contest was multi-cornered with all the parties fielding their candidates, while the coalition partners - NC and Congress - shared two seats each in Jammu region and the Kashmir Valley.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer