Omar hails NC-Congress victory in J&K
Jammu: The victory of the National Conference (NC)-Congress coalition in all the four seats in Jammu and Kashmir legislative council from the panchayat quota is a severe jolt to the Opposition, Chief Minister Omar Abdullah said on Thursday.
The Chief Minister asked the cadres of the two parties to step up preparations for the 2014 Assembly Elections.
The victory is a "severe jolt to those (PDP leadership) who indulged in malicious propaganda against the coalition and tried their best to create a wedge between the workers of Congress and NC at the grassroots", Abdullah told reporters here.
Congratulating the winners, he said: "Panches, sarpanches and party cadres of National Conference and Congress have tirelessly worked to ensure thumping victory for all the four coalition candidates in the elections to legislative council seats reserved for the panchayats."
"Your victory is appropriate reply to those (PDP leadership) who remained engaged in propagating the false conception that NC-Congress coalition was not effective and cohesive at the lower level," he said.
Earlier on Thursday, the ruling coalition won all four seats in the state legislative council from the panchayat reserved quota polling for which was held on December 03.
The contest was multi-cornered with all the parties fielding their candidates, while the coalition partners - NC and Congress - shared two seats each in Jammu region and the Kashmir Valley.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra