Omar lauds public participation in J&K panchayat polls
Srinagar: Lauding people for taking part in
large numbers in the panchayat elections, Jammu and Kashmir
Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Tuesday said the sarpanchs and the
panchs have to live up to the faith reposed in them by the
"The voters have exercised their rights and completed
their part by electing you. Now the responsibility is on your
shoulders to prove your mettle and sincerity towards them,"
Omar said addressing the newly elected representatives in
Omar lauded people for taking part in panchayat elections
in large numbers and reposing faith in democratic institutions
for resolving development issues themselves.
"Decision making and launch of specific works in specific
areas, as per the aspirations and requirement of people, will
be now in the hands of elected representatives at the grass
roots," he said.
Omar asserted his government`s resolve to empower
panchayats to the highest possible degree.
Reminding panchs and sarpanchs of their responsibilities
to deliver on ground, the Chief Minister told
them to be sincere, honest and prompt to public needs and show
quick response to settle issues at panchayat level.
"The people will judge you on your performance, and
your success lies in public satisfaction about your conduct
and work done," he said.
The Chief Minister said the decision of government to
hold non-party based panchayat polls was to give a free hand
to everyone to come forward and seek public confidence.
Omar said panchayats would prove important agents of
change in transforming the socio-economic scenario and in
bringing development in the state.
"My government is committed to uniform development of all
regions and sub-regions in the state. We do not believe in
North, South, East or West. All areas are equally important
and dear to us. Holistic development, irrespective of creed,
caste, colour, region or religion is benchmark of my
Government," he said.
He said Panchayati Raj would help in a big way to achieve
the goal of good-governance and equitable development in Jammu
The Chief Minister said his government is determined to
improve the public delivery service through the medium of
"Powerful panchayats, functioning in transparent
environment with solitary objective of servicing the people
and carrying forward development agenda sincerely and
effectively, is my government`s keen desire," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof