Omar orders judicial probe into Shopian firing
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah said Tuesday a judicial probe was being ordered into the killing of four civilians by the CRPF Sep 7.
Abdullah was replying to a two-hour debate in the assembly over the firing by the Central Reserve Police Force in Gagaran in Shopian.
People`s Democratic Party president Mehbooba Mufti said police and other security forces had issued divergent statements after the incident.
Abdullah accepted that these statements did complicate the issue.
"I am not satisfied with the investigations so far. Facts should come out. The facts are not with us right now," he said.
"If the fourth person killed in the incident is believed to have been a Bihari, then why didn`t his family establish contact with us about his whereabouts so far?
"It is important to ascertain the antecedents of the other three persons killed in the incident.
"The scene is murky now. Even if somebody is proved not to have been innocent, still then the people won`t believe us given the mishandling of the incident.
"I would ask for a judicial probe by a retired judge of the high court since a sitting judge is not spared for such probes.
"The law department will issue orders in this regard today (Tuesday) itself."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31