Omar pins hopes on FM talks for resolution of bilateral issues
Jammu: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Saturday hoped that the proposed Indo-Pak talks between the Foreign Ministers of the two countries in September will resolve some of the vexed issues between the two neighbours.
"Talks should continue. There is no solution possible without talks. But if the talks are held just for the sake of talks, there is no benefit. There are several issues (between India and Pakistan)...There should be results (coming out of these bilateral talks) now," Omar told reporters here.
"Visa regime should be made easy...Long term visas should be acted upon...Sir Creek, Siachen issues can be resolved... cross-LoC trade can be improved," he said during inspection of a 750 m bridge, the fourth such structure, on Tawi river in Bagwati Nagar here.
"Our foreign minister is going to Pakistan, possibly in September...We hope he would be able to resolve some of these issues during the talks," he said.
External Affairs Minister S M Krishna will undertake his much-anticipated visit to Pakistan in the first half of September. He was scheduled to travel to Pakistan on July 18-19 but had to call off the visit as the dates clashed with the Presidential elections.
Replying to another question on Jameet-e-Islami`s dress code diktat for tourists, particularly foreigners, Omar blamed the media for blowing up the issue.
"Jameet-e-Islami has not said anything like that...They have made it clear...It does not have any affect on the ground...Media is blowing up the issue unnecessary," he said.
On another question about monkey hopping on beds in GMC hospital in Jammu, he said, "The government has taken a note of it...Those responsible for it would be punished."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed