Omar puts end to controversy over renaming Shankaracharya Hill
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Sunday made it clear that there is no proposal to change the name of the Shankaracharya Hill, on which the revered Lord Shiva temple is located here.
"Let me be as clear as I can - there is NO, repeat NO proposal by the state to change the name of Shankracharaya Hill in Srinagar," Omar wrote on micro-blogging site Twitter.
Omar said he wanted to stay out of the discussion on the issue as it was based only on "imagination".
"I had wanted to stay out of this discussion since it was based on the figments of some very active imaginations but no such luck," he said.
The Chief Minister said he failed to understand why the issue was being raked up as there was no basis to the renaming of the hill, which has a revered Shiva temple on the top.
"From conversations with ASI (Archaeological Survey of India), I have ascertained that there is no such proposal with them either. So I have no idea why the rumour!" he asked.
Omar said the Shankaracharya Hill has been known by parallel names and will be known by these names in future as well.
"There have always been parallel names for Shankracharaya hill and always will be. This isn`t the only place with two or more names," Omar said.
"So can we please put this unnecessary drama to rest and stop manufacturing an issue where none exists. Call it whatever you like," he added.
The Chief Minister said there were some real issues, involving consequences of life and death, facing the state over the recent days.
"Recent days have shown that we have real issues to deal with, often with life and death consequences. These imaginary issues don`t help," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy