‘Omar raked up AFSPA issue to divert attention’
Srinagar: PDP president Mehbooba Mufti
on Tuesday alleged Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah
had raked up the AFSPA issue to divert attention from the
death of a ruling National Conference worker in police custody
"Omar took up the issue of AFSPA to divert attention from
custodial killing of Mohammad Yousuf Shah," she said.
The NC worker died on September 30 last year in police
custody after two fellow party workers accused him of taking
Rs 1.18 crore from them for getting them berths in the
"He (Omar) was never really concerned about the
revocation of AFSPA. He wanted that time period, that gap,
when everybody started discussing AFSPA and not the death (of
Shah)," she said.
Mehbooba said the Chief Minister succeeded in diverting
The PDP leader also claimed that a civilian killed in
Sopore last week during a gunbattle between police and
militants did not die in the cross-fire.
"The family said no one came to save him. First, it was
alleged he was a militant but then the statement was changed,"
Mehbooba said after meeting the family of Mehraj-ud-din, a
shopkeeper who died Saturday.
"He was nowhere in between. It was not that he was
trapped in between, that is what his family said," the PDP
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part II
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part III
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes?
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes? - Part II
- Euro 2016: Roy Hodgson didn't expect England exit so early in the tournament
- Kazakhstan beats Thailand in race for Asian seat on Security Council
- The human body refreshes itself every seven years! - Watch video
- UK Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn refuses to resign after losing confidence vote
- Serena Williams, Andy Murray cruise at rain-lashed Wimbledon