Omar should give up obsession for AFSPA revocation: BJP
Jammu: The BJP on Friday said Chief Minister Omar Abdullah should give up his "obsession" for partial revocation of Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act from Jammu and Kashmir in view of Army`s disclosure that 325 militants are still active in the Valley.
"Omar Abdullah must give up his obsession with demand for partial revocation of AFSPA in view of disclosures made by outgoing GoC 15 Corps Lt General Om Parkash that there are still 325 militants active in the state, out of which 60 percent are foreign militants," BJP national executive member Jitendra Singh said.
Though the security situation in the state has become stable, it continues to be "fragile", he said.
"We contest the argument that AFSPA could be withdrawn from some of the districts. Samba district has been constantly witnessing infiltration attempts including recent digging of an underground tunnel," the BJP leader said.
He said reports about educated youth joining militant ranks are a matter of serious concern which has not only political but also far-reaching social and cultural ramifications.
"It needs to be addressed in a more holistic manner rising above party lines," he said.
"Though the state government claims to have rolled out attractive employment schemes for the youth but unemployment in the state has increased as per the recent census and youth have started taking to militancy," Singh said.
He alleged that the "state government`s much-hyped rehabilitation policy for so-called ex-militants has sent out a dangerous message that there is a premium on militancy."
He accused the Union Home Ministry of "deliberately sending out contradictory and confusing signals" on the issue of AFSPA.
"While the Centre is convinced by the security forces contention to continue with AFSPA, it does not wish to antagonise the National Conference government with which it is sharing a coalition in the state," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH