Omar supports Trivedi on hike in rail fares
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah, who supported the hike in railway fares, Thursday said he would not mind being sacked for doing the right thing.
"If I had to be sacked, I`d rather be sacked for doing the right thing," he wrote on micro-blogging site twitter in reference to demand for removal of Railway Minister Dinesh Trivedi by his own party Trinamool Congress.
Omar is among the very few politicians who have supported the hike in train fares proposed by Trivedi in his maiden railway budget tabled in the Lok Sabha yesterday. "We take populism to ridiculous levels. I genuinely believe people would happily accept the modest hike if safety
and quality of service are better," the NC leader said.
"Populism will destroy the Indian railways. Then where will the `aam aadmi` go?" he asked.
Omar had words of sympathy for Trivedi, wishing him well in whatever he does.
"Whatever Dinesh bhai does, I wish him well. He`s a good and decent person and we shared some laughs at the Kolkata book fair recently," he tweeted.
Omar also said Trivedi will be remembered for a long time due to turn of events following presentation of the Railway budget by him.
"Long after other railway ministers are forgotten Dinesh Trivedi will still be an answer to a general knowledge or entrance test question," he said.
Angered by Trivedi`s proposal contained in the Railway Budget, Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee had written to the Prime Minister Manmohan Singh last night seeking his
removal and replacement with Minister of State for Shipping Mukul Roy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video