Omar supports Trivedi on hike in rail fares
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah, who supported the hike in railway fares, Thursday said he would not mind being sacked for doing the right thing.
"If I had to be sacked, I`d rather be sacked for doing the right thing," he wrote on micro-blogging site twitter in reference to demand for removal of Railway Minister Dinesh Trivedi by his own party Trinamool Congress.
Omar is among the very few politicians who have supported the hike in train fares proposed by Trivedi in his maiden railway budget tabled in the Lok Sabha yesterday. "We take populism to ridiculous levels. I genuinely believe people would happily accept the modest hike if safety
and quality of service are better," the NC leader said.
"Populism will destroy the Indian railways. Then where will the `aam aadmi` go?" he asked.
Omar had words of sympathy for Trivedi, wishing him well in whatever he does.
"Whatever Dinesh bhai does, I wish him well. He`s a good and decent person and we shared some laughs at the Kolkata book fair recently," he tweeted.
Omar also said Trivedi will be remembered for a long time due to turn of events following presentation of the Railway budget by him.
"Long after other railway ministers are forgotten Dinesh Trivedi will still be an answer to a general knowledge or entrance test question," he said.
Angered by Trivedi`s proposal contained in the Railway Budget, Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee had written to the Prime Minister Manmohan Singh last night seeking his
removal and replacement with Minister of State for Shipping Mukul Roy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you