Omar takes stock of affected services after heavy snow in J&K
Srinagar: As Kashmir remained cut off from the country due to heavy snowfall, Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah today asked the administration in the Valley to be alert and responsive to the needs of the people in the state.
"The officers should to be alert and responsive to the public needs in the present hour of challenge as also be fully prepared for any future eventuality of this and other natures," Omar said, reviewing the progress of restoration of affected services in South Kashmir which witnessed the heaviest snowfall early this week.
In a video conference with the District Development Commissioners and senior officers of south Kashmir districts of Pulwama, Anantnag, Kulgam and Shopian, here, the Chief Minister enquired about the restoration of electricity and water supply, an official spokesman said.
He also enquired about road clearance, distribution and availability of essential commodities and fuel, functioning of hospitals, plying of traffic on various routes and other related matters, the spokesman said.
The spokesman said the District Development Commissioners briefed the Chief Minister on all aspects of the restoration operations and said there was sufficient stock of essential commodities and fuel, including LPG, in all the districts and strict vigil was being maintained on supply and distribution of essentials.
The officers said market vigil was also intensified and hoarders and unscrupulous elements warned of severe action if found indulging in black-marketing, hoarding and creating difficulties for the people.
The Chief Minister was informed that maximum restoration work has already been achieved and the rest was being attended to on a war-footing.
The spokesman said the Chief Minister also directed the District Development Commissioner, Srinagar, to upgrade the process of declogging the water-logged areas of the city and put in place additional pumps and machinery wherever needed.
The Srinagar-Jammu national highway connecting Kashmir with the rest of the country remained closed for the third consecutive day today as the Valley and Ladakh region reeled under intense cold conditions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in