Omar tells police to probe threats to girls` rock band
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah Saturday ordered police to investigate threats received by a local girls` band and provide adequate security to its members.
The Valley`s only girls` rock band "Pragaash` was started by some local girls last year.
In December 2012, it participated in a competition called the "Battle of Bands", finishing third.
"After our participation in the `Battle of Bands`, we started receiving threats on social media sites. Our parents told us to give up the exercise," said a band member here.
Intervening in the issue, Abdullah now asked police to investigate the matter.
"Police will examine the threats issued & whether any provision of law can be used to book those making the threats," he said on account on his micro blogging site Twitter.
"I hope those talented girls will not let a handful of morons silence them," he tweeted.
He said the band is presently working on an album. Criticism is nothing new to Kashmiri women singers who defied strong opposition in the past as well and made a name in the field. Raj Begum, renowned Kashmiri singer, even won the national award.
Activists and artistes expressed outrage at the online hate campaign against the girls.
"It is completely shameful...Why is police silent against these cyber criminals.... Police chief should have initiated action against them and it should be done under the law of the land. Enough is enough," filmmaker and activist Shaykhh Mukhtar said.
Activist Humaira Khan said "we are moving ahead, but why aren`t our mentalities. We move ahead in real sense only when we open our minds."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Twinkle Khanna slams Naseeruddin Shah online! - Know why
- Singapore-based company develops robot therapist to help relieve muscle strains
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh chairs high-level meeting in Kashmir
- India, Bangladesh border forces discuss issues in Tripura
- Four hospitals hit by air raids in Syria's Aleppo: Doctors