Omar too feels some online content inflammatory
Srinagar: Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Tuesday
said he was against media censorship but the content on some
social networking sites were "dangerous and inflammatory".
"I hate the idea of censorship but have seen for myself
how dangerous inflammatory content on Facebook and Youtube can
be," Omar wrote on microblogging site twitter.com.
His comments came hours after the Communication Minister
Kapil Sibal expressed concern over objectionable content on
social networking sites.
Making it clear that the government cannot allow this to
go on, he has asked Internet firms like Google and Facebook to
fall in line.
"I suggested that these platforms should evolve a
mechanism on their own to ensure that such contents are
removed as soon as they get to know of it...I have told them
this cannot go on," Sibal told reporters in New Delhi today.
Omar said while he was staunch supporter of freedom of
speech, those exercising this right should also take the
responsibility that comes with it.
"If push came to shove I`d come down on the side of
freedom of speech but it`s one of those freedoms that has me
worried unfortunately...We want the luxury of free speech but
not the burden of responsibility for how we use that freedom.
Something will have to give," the chief minister tweeted.
Omar`s father and Union Minister Farooq Abdullah in a
function here yesterday had also asked the media to tone down
its reportage of protests in JK as it had a "negative impact"
on the Tourism industry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!