Omar using AFSPA only as medium to deflect public anger: PDP
Jammu: Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) on Thursday accused the Omar Abdullah-government of using AFSPA as a medium to deflect public anger.
"The revocation of AFSPA is a very serious matter. But, unfortunately it has become a victim of Chief Minister’s non-serious attitude, who uses revocation of AFSPA to deflect public anger caused by his failures. Laws like the AFSPA, restricting right to life, property, free expression of opinion will ultimately have to go," said a resolution passed by the PDP during its general council meeting here.
The party also expressed its disapproval of the government`s attempts to trivialise democratic institutions and alleged that the legislature`s prestige has been put at stake by the NC-Congress coalition.
"The Home Minister`s refusal to return the mortal remains of Afzal Guru, even after the state Assembly had expressed its sentiment during discussion on PDP`s adjournment motion, was not just insensitive but outrightly insulting.
Even in the face of such humiliating response from the Centre, the Chief Minister failed in his duty to uphold the dignity of the House," the party said.
Alleging that the present government has become synonymous to curfew, pellet guns and chilly grenades, the PDP warned that employing such tactic will push the state back to 1990’s.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security