Omar using AFSPA only as medium to deflect public anger: PDP
Jammu: Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) on Thursday accused the Omar Abdullah-government of using AFSPA as a medium to deflect public anger.
"The revocation of AFSPA is a very serious matter. But, unfortunately it has become a victim of Chief Minister’s non-serious attitude, who uses revocation of AFSPA to deflect public anger caused by his failures. Laws like the AFSPA, restricting right to life, property, free expression of opinion will ultimately have to go," said a resolution passed by the PDP during its general council meeting here.
The party also expressed its disapproval of the government`s attempts to trivialise democratic institutions and alleged that the legislature`s prestige has been put at stake by the NC-Congress coalition.
"The Home Minister`s refusal to return the mortal remains of Afzal Guru, even after the state Assembly had expressed its sentiment during discussion on PDP`s adjournment motion, was not just insensitive but outrightly insulting.
Even in the face of such humiliating response from the Centre, the Chief Minister failed in his duty to uphold the dignity of the House," the party said.
Alleging that the present government has become synonymous to curfew, pellet guns and chilly grenades, the PDP warned that employing such tactic will push the state back to 1990’s.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics?
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part II
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part III
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part IV
- Why is Mehbooba Mufti attacking Hindu beliefs for votes?
- Why are Antarctica ice-levels increasing? NASA has the answer!
- Buyout group to back rival's bid for Tata's UK steel assets - Sources
- French Open 2016: Angry Nick Kyrgios, Petra Kvitova pass chilly Roland Garros tests
- Working towards a technology which enables consumer to control electrical appliances at home sitting in office: TPDDL CEO Praveer Sinha
- Modi in Iran: PM promises big celebration of Guru Gobind Singh's birth anniversary