Omar using AFSPA only as medium to deflect public anger: PDP
Jammu: Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) on Thursday accused the Omar Abdullah-government of using AFSPA as a medium to deflect public anger.
"The revocation of AFSPA is a very serious matter. But, unfortunately it has become a victim of Chief Minister’s non-serious attitude, who uses revocation of AFSPA to deflect public anger caused by his failures. Laws like the AFSPA, restricting right to life, property, free expression of opinion will ultimately have to go," said a resolution passed by the PDP during its general council meeting here.
The party also expressed its disapproval of the government`s attempts to trivialise democratic institutions and alleged that the legislature`s prestige has been put at stake by the NC-Congress coalition.
"The Home Minister`s refusal to return the mortal remains of Afzal Guru, even after the state Assembly had expressed its sentiment during discussion on PDP`s adjournment motion, was not just insensitive but outrightly insulting.
Even in the face of such humiliating response from the Centre, the Chief Minister failed in his duty to uphold the dignity of the House," the party said.
Alleging that the present government has become synonymous to curfew, pellet guns and chilly grenades, the PDP warned that employing such tactic will push the state back to 1990’s.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey