Omar using AFSPA only as medium to deflect public anger: PDP
Jammu: Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) on Thursday accused the Omar Abdullah-government of using AFSPA as a medium to deflect public anger.
"The revocation of AFSPA is a very serious matter. But, unfortunately it has become a victim of Chief Minister’s non-serious attitude, who uses revocation of AFSPA to deflect public anger caused by his failures. Laws like the AFSPA, restricting right to life, property, free expression of opinion will ultimately have to go," said a resolution passed by the PDP during its general council meeting here.
The party also expressed its disapproval of the government`s attempts to trivialise democratic institutions and alleged that the legislature`s prestige has been put at stake by the NC-Congress coalition.
"The Home Minister`s refusal to return the mortal remains of Afzal Guru, even after the state Assembly had expressed its sentiment during discussion on PDP`s adjournment motion, was not just insensitive but outrightly insulting.
Even in the face of such humiliating response from the Centre, the Chief Minister failed in his duty to uphold the dignity of the House," the party said.
Alleging that the present government has become synonymous to curfew, pellet guns and chilly grenades, the PDP warned that employing such tactic will push the state back to 1990’s.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs