Omar welcomes Centre`s efforts to address Kashmir issue
Tangdhar: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Sunday welcomed the Centre`s efforts to address the Kashmir issue in a peaceful atmosphere through dialogue process.
"I welcome the statement recently made by the Union Home Minister regarding Jammu and Kashmir. Right from the day I have taken over as chief minister, I am strongly advocating addressing of political issues of the state and restoring both external and internal dialogue channels," he told a public gathering here.
Chidambaram had recently referred to Jammu and Kashmir as a "unique problem needing a unique solution". He had also told the Rajya Sabha that the Centre was ready to resume dialogue with all sections, including hardline Hurriyat leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani, to address the state`s problems.
Omar said his government was working as an active facilitator in this regard. "In fact, my government has proved instrumental in granting passports to separatist leaders,
giving them an opportunity to discuss their view points across the border or anywhere else."
He also expressed hope that the Union government will take positive steps in addressing political issues of the state through a sustained dialogue process and avoiding
recurrence of mistakes done in the past.
Peaceful and democratic approach to resolve problems is the only way to make a positive headway, he added.
"The over 60-year-old problem has become a complex one and requires sustained political efforts by all the stakeholders through a dialogue process to resolve it as per the aspirations of the people of the state," Omar said asserting that Indo-Pak talks in this regard are also imperative.
On stone pelting and shutdown incidents, he said while perpetrators of these acts are seeking better future and best education for their kids, they are destroying career and
education of the children in general.
"By marring the education of students and jeopardizing the future of youths what are they achieving for the state?"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand