Omar welcomes NIA for transparent probe into Liyaqat case
New Delhi: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah today said he was eagerly waiting for the final report of National Investigating Agency (NIA) which is probing role of surrendered Kashmiri militant Liyaqat Shah for allegedly planning a terror attack here.
"It is heartening for us that his (Liyaqat) bail application has been accepted and he is able to go back home. It indicates to us that the stand taken by Jammu and Kashmir police and J-K government is the correct one.
"That having been said, I don`t know what would be NIA`s final findings will be. Should their final findings be on the same line then yes, we would have a lot more to say to Delhi Police," Omar told Foreign Correspondents` Club during an interaction here.
Liyaqat was booked by Delhi Police for allegedly being a part of a suicide squad tasked to carry out attacks in the national capital during Holi. However, Jammu and Kashmir police contested their claim saying Liyaqat was returning from Pakistan Occupied Kashmir via Nepal as part of the state government`s surrender policy.
NIA will complete the inquiry and may give a clean chit Liyaqat deserves, Omar said.
Lashing out at the state`s political parties, Omar said when his government signed on a document supporting NIA for carrying out the probe, "my political opposition claimed we were creating a brand new terror force or it`s going to be sort of special operation group which will terrorise Kashmiris."
However, the facts speak for themselves and it has been proved beyond doubt that it (NIA) is an organisation which believes in transparent inquires.
The Chief Minister refrained from saying more on Liyaqat as that may threaten his life. "Let NIA finish its probe, I may have a lot to say to Delhi Police then," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security