Omar`s admission of `mistakes` meaningless: Mehbooba Mufti
Srinagar: Terming Omar Abdullah`s admission of "mistakes" in dealing with the 2010 summer unrest as meaningless, main opposition PDP today said the chief minister should withdraw cases filed against scores of Kashmiri youths during the protests.
"The chief minister seems to have learnt no lessons from the debacle, in which more than 120 people lost their lives," PDP president Mehbooba Mufti said.
Mufti said as the chief minister has accepted his "mistakes", he should withdraw cases against thousands of young people who have been slapped with serious charges for taking part in 2010 protests.
She said Omar`s advice to the Central government on handling the current situation that has arisen in the wake of the unfortunate gang-rape of a young girl amounts to rubbing salt into the wounds of his own people.
Omar yesterday suggested that the government should be seen and heard while dealing the with the protests taking place in Delhi.
She said the chief minister had made announcements at least three occasions, the last being on February 25 this year, that cases of stone pelting had been withdrawn but it has turned out to be another hoax.
"The lie about withdrawal of cases has finally been nailed with the arrest of Zahida of Anantnag, a girl who lost her leg as a result of police firing and arrested on charges of stone pelting," she said.
Zahida was arrested by police on Saturday but was released on bail by a local court in Anantnag.
Mehbooba said the situation in 2010 was also triggered by a single unfortunate incident.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!