Omar`s balm for Army on AFSPA
Jammu: Allaying fears of Army on the issue
of revocation of AFSPA, Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar
Abdullah said the state government could consider restoring
two provisions of CrPC to make them applicable to the state so
that security forces have legal protection.
"They (security forces) have pointed out that in all
other states of the country, Army and para-military enjoys
protection under the Criminal Procedure Code (CrPC), which is
not applicable in Jammu and Kashmir," Omar said in an informal
chat with reporters last night.
He said his government may include the omitted sections
of CrPC to make the law on par with with the rest of country.
When CrPC was applied for the state of J and K, two
sections--45 and 197-A--dealing with Army and security forces
While section 45 deals with protection of members of the
Armed Forces from arrest, section 197-A deals with prosecution
of civil servants.
"...no member of the Armed Forces of the Union shall be
arrested for anything done or purported to be done by him in
the discharge of his official duties except after obtaining
the consent of the Central Government," according to section
45 of CrPC.
As per Section 197-A, no courts will take cognizance of
an offence committed by a public servant "while acting or
purporting to act in the discharge of his official duty"
until a sanction was accorded by the Central Government.
The Chief Minister, who is pushing for lifting of AFSPA
from parts of J and K, said such provisions could be extended
to the state for providing safeguards to the Army in its
functioning. Army has voiced its reservations on revocation of
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Delhi government bans Chinese firecrackers for this Diwali