Omar`s balm for Army on AFSPA
Jammu: Allaying fears of Army on the issue
of revocation of AFSPA, Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar
Abdullah said the state government could consider restoring
two provisions of CrPC to make them applicable to the state so
that security forces have legal protection.
"They (security forces) have pointed out that in all
other states of the country, Army and para-military enjoys
protection under the Criminal Procedure Code (CrPC), which is
not applicable in Jammu and Kashmir," Omar said in an informal
chat with reporters last night.
He said his government may include the omitted sections
of CrPC to make the law on par with with the rest of country.
When CrPC was applied for the state of J and K, two
sections--45 and 197-A--dealing with Army and security forces
While section 45 deals with protection of members of the
Armed Forces from arrest, section 197-A deals with prosecution
of civil servants.
"...no member of the Armed Forces of the Union shall be
arrested for anything done or purported to be done by him in
the discharge of his official duties except after obtaining
the consent of the Central Government," according to section
45 of CrPC.
As per Section 197-A, no courts will take cognizance of
an offence committed by a public servant "while acting or
purporting to act in the discharge of his official duty"
until a sanction was accorded by the Central Government.
The Chief Minister, who is pushing for lifting of AFSPA
from parts of J and K, said such provisions could be extended
to the state for providing safeguards to the Army in its
functioning. Army has voiced its reservations on revocation of
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'