Omar`s `make-up kit` remark infuriates women panchayat members
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah`s "make-up kit" remark on Saturday led to a protest by state`s women panchayat members, who termed the statement as an "insult" to women.
A large number of women members from Ganderbal, Omar`s home constituency, took out a protest march at Beehama Chowk near the national highway connecting Srinagar with Leh.
"Omar`s remark is an insult to women members who have fought the battle from within and outside to take part in the democratic process and work at the grassroots level for the betterment of people," a protesting panchayat member Ayesha said, asking the chief minister to withdraw his comment.
She said the members are ready to resign if the chief minister can prove that they have taken any make-up kits from the PDP.
The panchayat members are wise enough to vote for a suitable candidate and they do not need to be taught whom to support, she asserted.
Addressing a gathering in Ganderbal on November 29, Omar had accused the PDP leadership of luring women panchayat members by providing them make-up kits to secure their support in the forthcoming legislative council elections in the state.
Refuting his allegations, PDP had yesterday criticised the chief minister statement, terming it a remark intended to discourage women of the state from being empowered and assigned the much-deserved political space.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced