Omar`s `make-up kit` remark infuriates women panchayat members
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah`s "make-up kit" remark on Saturday led to a protest by state`s women panchayat members, who termed the statement as an "insult" to women.
A large number of women members from Ganderbal, Omar`s home constituency, took out a protest march at Beehama Chowk near the national highway connecting Srinagar with Leh.
"Omar`s remark is an insult to women members who have fought the battle from within and outside to take part in the democratic process and work at the grassroots level for the betterment of people," a protesting panchayat member Ayesha said, asking the chief minister to withdraw his comment.
She said the members are ready to resign if the chief minister can prove that they have taken any make-up kits from the PDP.
The panchayat members are wise enough to vote for a suitable candidate and they do not need to be taught whom to support, she asserted.
Addressing a gathering in Ganderbal on November 29, Omar had accused the PDP leadership of luring women panchayat members by providing them make-up kits to secure their support in the forthcoming legislative council elections in the state.
Refuting his allegations, PDP had yesterday criticised the chief minister statement, terming it a remark intended to discourage women of the state from being empowered and assigned the much-deserved political space.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Uttarakhand: BJP MLA Prem Singh Rana insulted during CM Harish Rawat's speech
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth