Omar`s `make-up kit` remark infuriates women panchayat members
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah`s "make-up kit" remark on Saturday led to a protest by state`s women panchayat members, who termed the statement as an "insult" to women.
A large number of women members from Ganderbal, Omar`s home constituency, took out a protest march at Beehama Chowk near the national highway connecting Srinagar with Leh.
"Omar`s remark is an insult to women members who have fought the battle from within and outside to take part in the democratic process and work at the grassroots level for the betterment of people," a protesting panchayat member Ayesha said, asking the chief minister to withdraw his comment.
She said the members are ready to resign if the chief minister can prove that they have taken any make-up kits from the PDP.
The panchayat members are wise enough to vote for a suitable candidate and they do not need to be taught whom to support, she asserted.
Addressing a gathering in Ganderbal on November 29, Omar had accused the PDP leadership of luring women panchayat members by providing them make-up kits to secure their support in the forthcoming legislative council elections in the state.
Refuting his allegations, PDP had yesterday criticised the chief minister statement, terming it a remark intended to discourage women of the state from being empowered and assigned the much-deserved political space.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority