Omar`s speech triggers ruckus in house; BJP member hurt
Srinagar: A Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) legislator and a policeman were injured Thursday as chaos erupted in the Jammu and Kashmir assembly with opposition members disrupting proceedings over Chief Minister Omar Abdullah`s speech a day earlier.
A day after Abdullah said in the assembly that "the state has acceded through an agreement to India and not merged with it", BJP and Panthers` Party legislators gathered near Speaker M.A. Lone`s podium, tearing papers and shouting slogans.
As agitated members started moving towards the speaker`s chair, ignoring his repeated requests to restore order, Lone ordered the watch and ward staff of the assembly to remove the agitating members from the house.
BJP legislator Durga Dass sustained a head injury in the melee. He alleged that he had been hit by a `kada` (metallic wrist-band) worn by one of the marshals.
After first aid, during which the doctors stitched the legislator`s wound, he was shifted to the Sher-e-Kashmir Institute of Medical Sciences Soura (SKIMSS).
Two other BJP legislators also claimed they had been injured when the marshals removed them physically from the house.
A head constable of the local police was injured outside the assembly hall as opposition members walked out of the house in anger. He too has been shifted to hospital.
During his 90-minute speech on the prevailing situation in the state, Abdullah Wednesday also asked BJP members why they had often stated that Kashmir was an integral part of India and why they did not say the same about Tamil Nadu?
This, he said, "indicated that they doubted the statement in their heart of hearts".
The BJP, the Panthers` Party and the Jammu State Morcha, which has one member in the house, have decided to boycott the rest of the present session that ends Oct 9.
The main opposition People`s Democratic Party (PDP), with 21 members in the 87-member state legislative assembly, is already boycotting this assembly session.
The BJP has 11 and the Panthers` Party three legislators.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days