One detained for spread "false" info on Facebook about J&K
Srinagar: A week after registering 13 cases against unnamed people circulating rumours through social network `FaceBook`, Jammu and Kashmir Police on Tuesday detained a person who was allegedly circulating false and frivolous information related to internal security situation of the state on these websites.
Based on his questioning, a number of other people have also been identified on his disclosure who will be detained soon for further investigation, police spokesman said in a statement here.
Jammu and Kashmir police had constituted a special team at cyber cell to identify the people behind scores of pages spreading rumours.
"Today one of the kingpins running seven pages has been tracked down and detained for further questioning. The kingpin is hailing from downtown city and is working in a private company. A number of other admins have also been identified on his disclosure who will be detained shortly for further investigation," the spokesman said.
Ever since Ashok Prasad took over as the Director General of state police, a special focus was on identifying people who had created these pages on the social networking site and those responsible for circulation of rumours.
Both Crime Branch and CID departments were asked to track such people besides taking up the matter with Facebook officials based in India. Facebook officials assured all help if a case was registered.
Police have found the following Facebook pages indulging in posting baseless information, which included Kashmir News Agency, Loving Kashmir, Youths of Downtown-Kashmir, 24X7 Breaking News, All (J&K) Breaking News Alert, True Muhajid Voice of Kashmir Youth, Youths of Down Town and Voice of Unspoken Kashmir, the statement said.
A case has been registered against these Facebook pages and the persons running these pages are being identified.
"Action has been initiated against the page Admins who have been found copying and pasting wrong information of the above pages," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NT Awards 2016: Zeenews.com bags 'Best News Channel Website' honour
- Son of Kota Central jail prisoner clears IIT entrance exam
- Cabinet approves Act allowing malls, restaurants, theaters to stay open 24×7
- New framework that can predict terrorist attacks developed!
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- Mumbai architect receives Rs 5 crore extortion call from gangster Ravi Pujari
- 7th Pay Commission: Salary hike to boost demand in consumer durables sector
- 7th Pay Commission: Unions reject Centre's pay hike, threaten to go on strike
- It's a 'happy-sad feeling' for Anushka Sharma as 'Phillauri' shoot comes to an end!
- Lankan Navy damages seven boats of Tamil Nadu fishermen