One guerrilla killed in Kashmir gunfight
Srinagar: One foreign guerrilla has been killed in the ongoing gunfight between the security forces and the guerrillas in Kashmir`s Ganderbal district, police said here.
"So far, a foreign militant has been killed in the ongoing operation started by 24 Rashtriya Rifles and the state police in Chattergul forest area yesterday (Saturday)," a senior police officer told IANS.
"Security forces have also used the assistance of helicopters to trace the movements of the militants in the area," he said. Chattergul is 40 km from here.
The gunfight started Saturday morning, when based on an information, the troops surrounded the Chattergul forest area.
When the militants were challenged, they started firing at the security forces triggering an encounter.
There is no official word so far on whether the group of guerrillas had recently infiltrated into the Kashmir Valley or had been operating in the area since long.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- DNA: Analysing how plastics are devastating our health silently
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'